Friday, July 07, 2006

THE PRAYER OF ST. FRANCIS


Lord, make me a channel of thy peace,
that where there is hatred , I may bring love ;
that where there is wrong , I may bring the spirit of forgiveness;
that where there is discord , I may bring harmony ;
that where there is error , I may bring truth ;
that where there is doubt , I may bring faith ;
that where there is despair , I may bring hope ;
that where there are shadows , I may bring light ;
that where there is sadness , I may bring joy .
Lord, grant that I may seek rather to comfort than to be comforted;
to understand, than to be understood;
to love, than to be loved.
For it is by self-forgetting that one finds.
It is by forgiving that one is forgiven.
It is by dying that one awakens to Eternal Life.

4 comments:

Kletos Sumboulos said...

Lovely isn't it. When I redesigned the name badges for the counseling clinic I work at, I put this prayer on the back side. I used an older translation, but the point is the same.

BTW, check the third-to-last line.

John said...

Kletos,

It is lovely. Have you heard Make Me an Instrument by A Ragamuffin Band? It is on their Prayers of A Ragamuffin CD. You can easily find and sample it via iTunes.

PS - What does "BTW" mean?

godgivensmile said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
godgivensmile said...

"By The Way"

More poignantly, what does PS stand for?!? XD

*I believe it's French*