Saturday, July 22, 2006

He who is mightier than I...


"Now John was clothed with camel’s hair and wore a leather belt around his waist and ate locusts and wild honey. And he preached, saying, “After me comes he who is mightier than I, the strap of whose sandals I am not worthy to stoop down and untie" (Mark 1:6-7).

Robert Murray McCheyne's Bible reading plan has me reading the Gospel of Mark. It is my private evening reading. Ah, John the Baptizer...


"It was when all men mused in their hearts whether John was the Christ or no, that he announced the coming of a Stronger One. By thus promptly silencing a whisper, so honorable to himself, he showed how strong he really was, and how unselfish “a friend of the Bridegroom.” Nor was this the vague humility of phrase which is content to be lowly in general, so long as no specified individual stands higher. His word is definite, and accepts much for himself. “The Stronger One than I cometh,” and it is in presence of the might of Jesus (whom yet this fiery reformer called a Lamb), that he feels himself unworthy to bend to the dust and unbind the latchets or laces of His shoe" (Strong Meat for Hungry Souls: The Gospel According to St. Mark by the Rev. G. A. Chadwick).

2 comments:

Joshua 6:27 said...

john the baptist

pre-"fear factor" diet

I was reading "locusts and honey" and Joe Rogan came to mind.

John said...

How is, Joe. Is he still at UPS? Uh...wait. That's Joe from Toledo right?