Thursday, June 22, 2006

Looking Out For #1


Looking Out for #1
6 June 2006 AD

When I check my e-mail, there are always links to news articles on the side of the page. One such link caught my attention – “She’s lost her faith – he’s mad”.

The article was one of those write-in question therapy columns. A young lady living in New Orleans lost her faith after the devastation from Hurricane Katrina. She is dating a young man who is troubled by the fact that she doesn’t share his faith in the Lord. So, she sought help from this “expert” on love and relationships.

Some of the advice given wasn’t bad. However, I couldn’t help noticing one of the recommendations:

“Look out for number one: It may not be a very Christian concept, but right now you need to do whatever it takes to feel hopeful about life in general. Don’t invest time or emotion in people who don’t make you feel good. This doesn’t mean the only people you can hang out with should constantly feed your ego, but you should be getting something (confidence, security, benevolence) from the interaction.”

Of course, this advice doesn’t surprise me. What does surprise me is how open the “expert” was in pointing out that her advice wasn’t Christian. It is rare that someone will openly admit something like that.

However, what troubled me the most was how much I fail to live up to my own judgment. It was so easy for me to spot that sentence: “Don’t invest time or emotion in people who don’t make you feel good”. I was so quick to realize how this is the antithesis of Christian love. Christian love is about giving and sacrificing for the sake of another, just as Christ did for us, no matter what is given in return. Yet, as I thought about my circle of friends and acquaintances, I realized that I do not act differently than the advice I was so quick to condemn.

Luke 6:32, 35 “If you love those who love you, what benefit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them … But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and the evil.”

Noticed by Marty at 09:41 AM

(Yes, that is a picture of a young George Michael.)

4 comments:

Joshua 6:27 said...

question:

is all idolatry the idolatry of self?

John said...

Uh...I'm not sure if you are serious or joking so here are the two different ways that I would answer-

Joking - Are you talking to me!

Serious - As John Frame notes, everything is related in some manner. Therefore, it may require a "wide circle" of reasoning, but I would say, "Yes." In fact, I believe that you could conclude that all sin is idolatry. Furthermore, all sin is rooted in idolatry of self.

Don't make me justify my claims. It would take more time typing and more energy than I could produce. You could call me and demand that I justify these statements over the phone.

Love you, Josh.

Anonymous said...

Is that a pic of young John to the right????

John said...

Mr. Anonymous,

I warn you. I am trained in the art of the ninja. I could reach through the internet and get you!