Wednesday, May 24, 2006

An Article from the BRIEFING

Not so huggable (23 May 2006) by Guan at the BRIEFING

I honestly can’t decide which of these quotes from the website of Holy Huggables, a website which sells Jesus and Moses children’s dolls, is more ironic. This:

Currently we offer:

Jesus Huggables with Blue Eyes;
Jesus Huggables with Brown Eyes (limited supply)
Moses Huggables.
or:

We aimed to develop a cuddly doll that could provide children — as well as the rest of us — with a reminder of the 10 Commandments Moses brought down from the mountain.

Um, and what was that third commandment again?
-------------------------------------------
I can't bring myself to comment on this!

5 comments:

Joshua 6:27 said...

I kind of shocked the presbytery with my view on images of Jesus.

I concluded that the commandment to not make is inextricably linked to 'not worship.' In other words, the making isn't the problem. The worship is.

However, I told them the making sure does open to door to the worshipping, particularly for those who have less discernment.

Irony is: everyone else was ok with images for kids, but not adults.

I wound up arguing that it's the kids who lack the discernement to seperate the thing from the person.

Hence,...huggable Jesus doll irks me as well.

Maybe we can get like huggable John and Michelles to take with us cross country?

John said...

Joshuaaaa! You know what I think about the use of images of Jesus. I won't reargue my points here. They were clearly represented in the paper that circulated all over campus and made me the most hated seminary student on campus! (The only exception being the two professors that agreed with me.)

It isn't ironic that the presbytery "was ok with images for kids, but not adults." It merely betrays that fact that they are taking a stand on the issue using pragmatic/cultural arguments rather than biblical/theological/confessional arguments. The lack of consistency saddens me, but it doesn't surprise me.

While we disagree about the issue, I applaud you for you consistency with the issue. Did you persuade them? I suspect not.

No one would by a huggable John for their children. That would be like buying your child a huggable Cujo puppy or a huggable Freddy Krueger doll or a huggable Jason Voorhees doll! No one in his or her right mind is that cruel.

John said...

PS - You won't even be OK with the "brown-eyed Jesus?"

godgivensmile said...

*quickly hides favorite doll behind the back*

What do you mean "buying your child a huggable Freddy Krueger doll" isn't the thing to do!? You're telling me that if a parent should buy one for their child they are somehow mentally irregular?

hmmmm....this might explain things.

John said...

I like you, Smiley! :-)